Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Ray

photo by jen hosking

When my Dad suddenly died it was like being struck by a bolt of lightning, overnight my world changed. Up until that time my life had been secure, predictable and safe. Suddenly I became intensely afraid. In order to recover myself I decided I needed to be kind to the world that had so cruelly taken my father. 
I had the intense need to do 'the right thing' in order to make up for losing my Dad. I was struck by the notion of karma. I felt my actions could change my world and make everything better. Did it change? I really don't know, perhaps it was my first insight into understanding compassion. 

Yet again this feeling has surfaced, not so much the element of karma but rather the need to be there for others. The more we can connect with each other and share our stories the more enriched our lives could be.

Taking a moment to stop and have a conversation and really listen to what someone has to say or to discuss what is on your mind or sharing an experience, is an important aspect of what it means to be human. Smiling at someone in the street, talking to neighbours and sharing thoughts with friends is what life is all about. 

Sometimes we just need to rethink the important stuff in life.






No comments:

Post a Comment